Pages

December 20, 2011

Sharpening the Saw: Knowing When to Take a Break


Total Read Time: 2 minutes

["them old tools" by christgr]

The Problem

I have a hard time letting go. Once I get started on something, I plug away at it day and night with almost complete tunnel vision, sometimes at the expense of things like sleep and personal hygiene. :P 

You’d think that once I finally finish a project I could take a break, but I’ve already launched into the next thing and have at least five other projects planned for after that.

It never ends.


Cutting Yourself Some Slack

No one can maintain that kind of pace forever, no matter how hard they try. Something has to give. This is where the 7th Habit comes in (from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People), which I clearly need to practice.

If we don’t allow ourselves the time to rest and recover, our work eventually suffers and we become unbalanced. Intellectually, I understand this, but I still find it difficult to give myself permission to take a break. I have this weird idea that I don’t deserve to relax until I’ve gotten absolutely everything done. (Which will probably never happen.)

Does this sound like you? What techniques do you use to pace yourself?


The Bottom Line

We all deserve to take some time to recharge. The work isn’t going anywhere. And if we want to keep doing what we’re passionate about, we need to take care of ourselves.

This blog has been though a fair amount of upheaval over the last few months. I’ve decided I’m going to take a break from posting here so I will have more time and energy for some of the other projects I have on the go right now. I’ll still be responding to comments, so please continue to post your feedback. I hope my posts have been helpful!


Happy Holidays :)

~Jacquelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Rules:
Feedback is awesome. Trolling/flaming is not. If you are rude, your post will be deleted.

Please do not put your website in the comment text, as this can come across as spam.

Thanks for adding to the conversation! Have fun :)