Pages

March 25, 2011

Got a short story? Get it out there!

Total Read Time: 1 minute

To take my last post one step further, I've learned that many people are also selling single short stories as ebooks, which is only a rare occurence in print books.  (It seems like amost every day my mind is getting blown by some new thing I've learned about ebooks or indie publishing.)

While I'm sure a lot of the stories for sale are by people who write more as a hobby than a profession, some people are really making money at it.  I was reading Joe Konrath's blog post, Ebooks and Self-Publishing, where Joe has an in-depth discussion of the business with Barry Eisler.  What caught my eye was where Joe mentions that Barry is on track to make $30,000 this year just from his short story, The Lost Coast.  Sweet!


Is this a typical success story?  Probably not.  But still, I've got a short story kicking around...  Why not publish it as an ebook?  I'm thinking it would make a great dry run for the whole ebook prepping process before I upload my novel.  (I'm planning on using Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing, as well as Smashwords to cover all the other ereaders.)  I'm hoping to have something uploaded within the week.

So if you've got some short stories gathering dust, maybe you should get them out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Rules:
Feedback is awesome. Trolling/flaming is not. If you are rude, your post will be deleted.

Please do not put your website in the comment text, as this can come across as spam.

Thanks for adding to the conversation! Have fun :)